Saturday, December 10, 2016

Arrival (2016)



"If you could see your life from start to finish, would you change things?" ... says a key line in "Arrival". Which seems rhetorical now... But in the movie is well enough places to cover the obvious answer. Not so easy is to decide if you've watched a good movie or not ...

One (not sunny) day, on the Earth land some ... let's call them "obelisks", of alien nature, which obviously create lots of panic in the world. Who are they, where are they from, what they want, and other questions. The U.S. government recruits a linguist and a physicist to solve the mystery. Big spoiler: they brought a gift - the non-linear perception of time.

Normally, as all SciFis that somehow connect with "the time issue" I should've liked "Arrival". Well, didn't (really) happen ... Honestly I don't know if I should appreciate more that we finally have a media product that strongly supports that "time might bend", and in a way that wasn't overused = to be able to simultaneously see the future and the past, or if I should start bashing on how wrong I find the idea to be presented/justified/whatever ... Another big spoiler: how do you get to be "Dr. Strange" in "Arrival"? by learning "alienish" - meaning that if you understand a way of expression used by some extraterrestrial heptapodes this will some somehow unlock something in your brain that will allow to what party you'll be in a year ... sorry, that doesn't cut it, not for me ... Without any alien influences, now I foresee that I'll end soon this entry without further details because I wasted enough time with it.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment